Portland Teacher Private School Employment Opportunities | Summa Academy
The best teachers are masters of connection with the student. Teachers play a critical role in facilitating an environment of learning and mutual respect. Creating a successful classroom environment requires trustworthy relationships that provide a safe space for students to take academic risks while learning. We are looking for teachers who are willing to engage students where they are, promote a collaborative supportive environment, and engage ongoing self-development as a person and as a professional.
The 10 qualities Summa Academy is looking for in our educators include any of the following:
- Interest in the way children see the world—developmentally appropriate
- Caring for the child’s success
- Presence and authenticity as a human being
- Self-reflection ability and willingness to engage self-inquiry as you learn with students
- Commitment to promote well-being—through ethical, respectful, and collaborative professional relationships.
- Interpersonal intelligence
- Communication skills—with ability for empathic listening
- Team-Player—with flexibility and adaptability
- Observation skills—the ability to be attentive to whatever is happening in the child
- Interest in contiguous fields (e.g. psychology or communication theory)
Educators are the key facilitators of a successful classroom culture. Classroom Culture could be summed up as the often unspoken assumptions about how people—both the educator and the students—relate to one another.
At Summa Academy, successful classroom cultures are built around relationships involving:
- Trust of the student’s eagerness to learn
- Emotional safety
- Appreciation of various learning styles with awareness of the student’s strengths and weaknesses
- Communication skill (e.g., teacher with students, with parents/caregivers, and with colleagues)
- Mutual respect
- Valuing teacher-parent relationships—communication, timing, and respect
- Promote positive relationships through modeling